Sideways

I'm almost out of lye. Don't worry folks, I have ordered some more from Bulk Apothecary and it should be here soon, along with some castor oil (like 8 lbs of castor!)

In the meantime what am I going to do?

Well, I'm going to make a batch of soap with my last bit of lye, obviously.

We have an amazing floral FO blend that has taken its place in our hearts as our favorite ever. EVAR. We make our deliciously naughty bath bomb, F* Me Sideways, with it. The F* obviously stands for *floral* because it's chock full of florals... Rose, Peony, Calendula, Lavender, Jasmine... and I don't know what else off the top of my head because Sars makes the dried floral blend that we add to the bombs in addition to the EO/FO blend.

Sars blends most of our scent profiles and when she initially sent me the new bath bombs for testing, naming, photographing and labeling they were simply 5 new bombs in cello bags. I didn't know that my life was about to change forever. One by one I opened the bags up and sniffed them. Some of them we had already semi-decided on... lovespell for the black and purple one... envy for the green one... and...

(text stream)
me: OH MY GOD... what is that white one
sarsmo: that's the rose and peony one I told you was so good
me: fuck me... that's amazing!
sarsmo: I know. We need to do that and nothing else forever
me: can we call it a sex bomb?
sarsmo: LUSH has one called that
me: f* me sideways?
sarsmo: because the F* is obviously for all the florals in it
me: obviously



This bath bomb. I mean. OMG. It is sooooo good. I can't stand having flower petals in my bath bombs, but for this baby I'll do anything. I'll let those soggy petals float around in my tub. Cause sometimes something is so good that you just say "yes, Yes, YES!"

(Ok... so you get it right? You get how good it is? If I could put a ring on it I would...)

So, obviously I wanted to soap it! I didn't know if it would accelerate trace, and being a floral blend there was a definite chance it would. I really didn't want to HP it, which would have been a safe option, so I decided to make a small CP batch in my 8" loaf and see how it went.

At first I thought about doing a slanted soap by tilting the mold and doing one half all white (like a triangle), then laying down a mica line and doing the other side with soap batter full of the dried flowers we use in the F* Me bath bomb. But I knew the petals wouldn't really translate well... they would just look like brown and black bits.

Soooo. I decided to do a white batter and put the FO in that portion of the soap. Then I would do a 4 color drop swirl/hanger swirl (similar to a butterfly swirl I guess...) on only 1 side of the soap and top it with some of the flower petals we use in the F* Me bomb.





I used Fired Up Fuchia from Bramble Berry, Royal Purple, from Nurture Soaps, a blend of those two, and a blend of Royal Purple and Celadon Blue also from Nurture Soaps. I also added TD to my lye water. I put just a small amount of soap into each of the mason jars with my colorants in them, then added the FO to the main batter only.





I think next time I might take the chance of adding FO's to the colors I'm planning on swirling because, to my great and happy delight, the FO didn't accelerate. Of course I soaped at a very low temp, but I had also added sugar.

I did a mantra swirl on the top, but I then I realized I was going to put the flowers on the top... so I filled the rest of the white area on top with the leftover colors.



One problem I ran into was that the 30 oz of oils I used was a bit too much for that mold, and without the FO, or a stick blender, the 4 colors were very thin. Hopefully that will be perfect for the hanger swirl technique, but it made the fluid top of the soap difficult to work with because it kept overflowing.

I added flowers all along the side with the drop swirl, sprayed it with alcohol and popped it into the freezer.

I poured the leftover soap batter into the bottom of my 10" silicone mold and made some fun swirlys with it. If it looks cool maybe I can use it for embeds or something. Can't wait for the cut!!!



Extra soap batter right after they were poured

Extra soap batter (gelled on the stove for about 30 minutes)




Comments